Patience and Delays
We were supposed to close on the property on Friday, October 14, but the seller and the seller’s agent didn’t get the electricity and survey taken care of in time. Now, the closing is scheduled for next Friday. The electricity needs to be run 3300 feet, so we are having some trouble agreeing on a fair price. The surveyor is supposed to call me early next week to walk the newly flagged back property lines. All this could have been done last week, prior to the original closing date, but it seems I have to submit myself to patience. The weather has been warm and dry, perfect for getting work done. Oh well.
Other progress –
Septic
Friday, October 7th, test pits were dug for the septic permit, and luckily, the sanitarian was happy with what he found and gave us our permit. The seven foot deep pits were dug with ease, so we don’t have to design a crazy, expensive system, and we don’t have to monitor the ground water for six months. This also means that we are going to be able to locate the house and barn exactly where we wanted. Given all the rock shelves and cliffs around the property, a smooth septic permit process was not guaranteed.
Windows
That same day I decided to do some window shopping. Contractors have told me that a lot of the window companies have a storage area called the bone yard where they put windows that were ordered incorrectly or never picked up. The bone yard isn’t a great resource if a specific size or style of window is needed, but since we haven’t framed anything yet, I was able to work with the random sizes that were available. I bought 18 brand new, energy star, double pane, vinyl windows for just over two thousand dollars. The dealer let me have them all at wholesale cost. I still need to find a few more, but most of the windows are purchased. The guy who delivered the windows told me that it looked like a six to eight thousand dollar package. Score!
Lumber
Thinking that we were going to close on Friday, last Wednesday, I put in an order for our ten inch by ten inch posts. Prices for the post varied greatly from different suppliers. A small mill up near Olney came in with the lowest price, so the logs will be coming out of the kiln on Monday or Tuesday. I still am not sure where to put them until we close? Apparently, there is no room to store them at the mill, but moving twenty-four foot ten by ten posts twice doesn’t seem wise. Hhmmm?
Tools
So far I have picked up an 18 volt, cordless tool set with a circular saw, drill, and saws-all. A new tool belt, 100 foot tape measure, hammer, and carpenters square have recently been added to the collection too. A friend recommended a

Floor Plan Update
The rest of the weekend was spent fixing up the snow blower, finding a new winch solenoid, wrestling with my old compressor, cleaning out the overstuffed garage, and enjoying the last of the warm, sunny fall weather. Even though I wished we had closed, I was able to get a lot accomplished this week to further prepare for when building begins and cold air settles in the valley.




1 Comments:
The windows look great. The saw looks like it will do fine for what you are planning.
I am looking forward to seeing the land first hand. Let us know about the closing so we can celebrate!!!
Thanks for giving me the heads up on Skype. Very cool!!
Post a Comment
<< Home