I got one....
Just a quick update to let everyone know that I shot my first deer on the property on Wednesday. After three hours of sitting in the rain, a 5 point buck came down the hill behind our house site. I was sitting on the cliff overlooking the house site when I shot. After making sure the deer was dead and looking around for any interested bears, I began my first attempt at field dressing an animal on my own. The two deer I shot in GA died within a mile of the processor. This year, however, I was committed to completing the gutting process on my own. Overall, not too bad. Within half an hour I had the animal dressed and on its way to the car, and I didn't puncture anyting I shouldn't have.
On a side note, the neighbors have told me that large bull elk have been frequenting our property this season. Although I have seen elk tracks and droppings, I have yet to actually see an elk up there. Maybe I will see one this week when I have a gun in my hand! My deer tag is full, but I still have an empty elk tag in my pocket.


2 Comments:
Nice going!!!! He looks like he's got a lot of good meat on him. That tree stand is already paying off!
If you can get an Elk, I would think your freezer should be full for the winter.
I don't know how much meat you get off an Elk but I would have to imagine it's at least 2-3x what you'd get from a deer.
What solenoid did you end up getting for the winch?
Thanks for the pictures on the blog site. It's fun to see what you're doing.
I assume the building began last Friday?? I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures as the construction progresses.
I just re-read the posting and realized you were on the hill, not in the tree stand when you got the deer.
Could you have shot the deer from the tree stand if you'd been in it?
Post a Comment
<< Home